Thursday, October 23, 2008

It's a Beautiful day in my neighborhood...

Hello out there in Blog land!

I just wanted to take a moment to share a bit of information about a really cool part of our country that I'm now proud to call home. It goes hand in hand with the world of all things Eco, at least I feel it does.

http://www.prairiecrossing.com/

This little corner of my world is a bit unique in that it is a conservation community. We not only have beautiful, protected prairie to live amongst, but there are also several things about this place, that once again, I'm proud to call home and I can't help but share it with cyberspace!!!


Prairie Crossing hosts its organic farm where we can buy anything from eggs to chickens, to produce, to amazing flowers in the summer months. A percentage of the energy in Prairie Crossing is provided by a wind turbine. We have a Metra train line within walking distance of my house, which definitely helps in these dreadful economic times in which we are living. Since I've moved into this neighborhood I seem to only get in my car once every 3-4 days, and it's starting to feel very foreign to be behind the wheel of a car now. Any of you who are reading this and live in the suburbs can most likely understand how strange that must be because in my old 'hood I had to drive everywhere, multiple times per day.

I'm also very proud to say that both of my children are being educated at a most amazing Charter School that sets up shop within my community. Here's a little blurb taken from our school's website that pretty much sums up school in a nutshell:

"The cornerstone of the Prairie Crossing Charter School is excellence in education, grounded in experience of the local environment. The curriculum draws upon the students' hands-on experiences in the school's natural setting of prairies and wetlands and at the Prairie Crossing Farm."

We are so honored to be a part of this school, and to know that we are helping to raise two little being who have an awareness of our plant/environment that some kids will never have. Living here makes me feel like there is hope for our planet yet. :)

Life is Good.... Hopefully you will enjoy taking a look at this place I call home!

Kari

No comments: